Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Book Review: Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop

The Others #2
First Published: 2014
Paperback
Adult, High Fantasy
Rating:
After winning the trust of the Others residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.
The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murder of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard—Lakeside’s shape-shifting leader—wonders if their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or a future threat.
As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now, the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet—and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all.
This book. THIS BOOK. You guys, I seriously can't even. It took a re-read for me to be able to form enough words to write a review about it. And even then, I'm not sure this is going to be coherent.

This book starts with a bang, with things developing in my ship--and then coming to a sudden halt. It physically hurt, because my little cinnamon rolls are so confused and baffled and I just want to hug them and spell out to them that they're falling in love. And that it's going to be okay.

Even though, let's be honest, it probably won't be. Not sure how Others are going to take a courtyard leader being mated with a human, but that's a worry for some other day.

We have enough to worry about in this installment as it is. Such as two dangerous drugs wrecking havoc among the humans and Others, starting conflicts that end in bloodshed and death and destruction. Mostly for the human side of things.

And the Lakeside Courtyard wants the Lakeside to survive, so they're working in order to end the conflict with the least bloodshed. Not because they personally mind the deaths of humans, but because they now have a human pack of exploding fluffballs in their midst and they will probably mind if such things happen.

Things were a lot easier when humans were nothing but meat...

Honestly, one of my favorite parts (after Meg and Simon's relationship and the small developments in it that gave me lifewere seeing the humans interacting with the Others more, especially when leaders from other courtyards came to visit (btw - I love Alan and Charlie. I hope to see more of them!) It was fascinating, and hilarious, and it gave hope for the future.

But I don't really have much hope for the past, because a comment Meg says that kind of went by me the first time I read it made me realize her past might be even more horrific than I thought it was--and I thought it plenty awful before.

*shudder*

And between all the awfulness, this book is funny. Seeing the Others flabbergasted by the humans is funny. Seeing Meg deal with the wolves and the pups is funny. Seeing their day to day interactions, whether it's between Others, humans, or the Others with the humans made for some funny things because they're a family and they tease and they joke and asdfghjkl

THIS BOOK gave me life. Now I need the rest of the series to magically drop in my hands and come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment