Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli | Book Review

First Published: 2015
Kindle
Young Adult, Contemporary
Rating:
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.
With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
Okay, so I admit I have been mostly hesitant to read this. I knew everybody and their dogs loves this, but I don't read too much LGBT novels (and maybe that's wrong of me), and so I was kind of afraid of this. I mean, what would happen if I didn't like it? *gasp*

But when it was on sale on kindle, I had to one click it. And then it was just a matter of time until I was in the mood for something I don't normally read, and so I opened it and... 

YOU GUYS, I LOVED IT SO MUCH! 

It was adorable! I was shipping Simon and Blue from the get-go (both e-mail Blue and who I hopped Blue was--and he was him!! Happiest happy dance ever!)

Simon was just funny and quirky and very teenager-y and real and he was such a strong person (I could never be this strong), and this whole story felt of first love and all the confusion and uneasiness that comes with it. 

And of course, there is the coming of age and coming out issues in this novel. I loved how this book didn't entertain the thought "being gay is wrong" for even a second. How it was never a matter of if but when with everything.

I loved the friendships depicted here and the familial relationship.

Honestly, this book has so much win and so much heart and so much soul in it and good and healthy relationships that are not perfect 'cause yo we're all human and it was so enjoyable!

This is the type of novel I feel like I would probably re-read when I need something adorable but also thought-provoking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment