Sunday, March 13, 2016

DNF Review: Rock My Bed by Michelle A. Valentine | Why I Couldn't Get Past The First Few Pages

Black Falcon #1
First Published: 2013
Free Kindle Version
Adult, Romance
Rating: DNF
Everything always seems to fall into place for twenty-four year-old Aubrey Jenson, except for when it comes to her luck with men. Bad boys always draw her in and crush her heart, and Black Falcon’s lead guitarist, Riff, is no exception. After sharing a few wild nights together, she leaves him behind, knowing a guy like Riff isn’t the relationship type, merely just a play thing.
When she returns to New York, she tries to get the passion she felt in Riff’s arms out of her head by dating Isaac, a successful representative at Center Stage Marketing. Just when she thinks she’s forgotten Riff, she’s forced to see him again when her best friend, Lanie, ropes her into being a bridesmaid for her upcoming wedding to Black Falcon front man, Noel.

Sparks fly instantly between Aubrey and Riff when they’re forced to reunite, and suddenly she finds herself caught between the man that’s good for her and the one who completely rocks her in every way.
Why I Couldn't Get Past the First Few Pages
Warning: Vulgar language will be used in this post, which I don't normally do. Please stop reading if that may bother you.

I'm not going to hide the fact I've only read a few pages of this novel. Hence, I'm not going to presume to talk about the story itself or this book as a whole, because clearly I have no freakin' idea about any of it.

What I am going to do is discuss the buttons these few pages managed to push, and why I decided it was just not for me in such a short amount of time.

I've made my way to this book in the midst of a quest to read a good rocker story. God knows I have plenty of the genre on my kindle, from my mad one-clicking days. But most of them are not the ones I'm looking for - the ones with a depth bigger than how deep his cock can thrust into her and how good it feels. 

What I am not looking for, at any point or time is:

A Hero who disrespects women, using the dashing "your tits are amazing" as an opener, followed by giving the woman a pass to his room so he could fuck her brains out for the night. 

A hero who seems to have zero disregard to what the woman in question may want, ignoring her outrage at his actions and allowing himself the liberty of kissing her.

A hero who is certain this type of proposition and behavior is simply irresistible because, rock sex god or whateve. 

A hero who, when talking to a friend about his friend's ex, thinks to himself that what he would do in the same position is fuck that old flame just to prove he still can.

A hero who essentially thinks of women as nothing more than objects to sate his carnal impulses with, which is why his "girlfriend's" cheating supposedly didn't hurt him as much as who she did it with because she was just a convenience so he won't have to look hard for a groupie every night. 

What. The. Frak. 

I don't want to read of a hero like this falling in love and being redeemed, I need to read about a hero like that being slapped and perhaps even put in jail for harassment, thank you very much! 

But above everything, I do not want to read of a heroine who, after having such a distasteful, disrespectful and plain disgusting encounter with this bastard still thinks he's hot (this should be a turn off, lady!) and tells herself she needs to stay away from him otherwise her sanity and her heart are in danger.

It's the heart part the sealed the deal for me. 

Are you fucking kidding me?! Your heart is in danger because of that disgusting buffoon? Hell no. At this point, there is nothing that should indicate for you that your heart is in any peril. The only danger is to his balls.  

The mere fact this woman can still find this man compelling is just beyond me. 

I'm sure the book does it's best to take back all this and show us his redeeming features (which, hopefully for everyone who actually read this book, is not his sexual prowess) and make him a better man, a man this woman will be forgiven for loving, but I was simply not interested in any of that after this puke worthy beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment