Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Perfection by R.L. Mathewson | Book Review

Neighbor From Hell #2
First Published: 2011
Kindle
Adult, contemporary
Rating:
Zoe is used to taking care of herself and has long ago accepted that if anything bad was going to happen, it was going to happen to her. So when she loses her job over something most bosses would probably be happy with and her life starts going down hill from there she doesn't expect it to get any better. She certainly didn't expect any help from the loud jerk next door, but then again she has nothing to lose so puts her trust in him and hopes for the best. What she didn't expect was the once in a lifetime opportunity that he offers her through an arrangement where they both benefit and no one is supposed to get hurt, but she should have known better because her luck has never been that good.
Like most Bradfords, Trevor has a soft spot for food, but that's about all. He leads a pretty straightforward life and likes to keep things simple and that includes his relationships. He wants the perfect woman and knows exactly what she'll be like. So when he discovers much to his horror that he's thinking about his frumpy little neighbor he decides the best way to get his head straight is by working her out of his system. He'll keep her around, but only until he finds perfection.
I originally read Perfection a long time ago. It was one of these romances that just stuck with me, so when I needed a good pick-me-up I decided to re-read this one and maybe finally review it. Well, here goes nothing.

It occurs to me that the reason I love this book so much is because Zoe, and how she feels about herself, strikes a cord with me. It twists my insides to read her inner monologue and matter-of-fact reflection on her body image... because I feel like I'm listening to my own thoughts. My own darkest fears and insecurities. I thought maybe I dreamed how much I related to her but NOPE, still relatable af.

Out of all the heroines in the Neighbor from Hell series, she is my favorite because of this.

But the best part about this story? Zoe get's the guy. Trevor is an eye candy, and he knows it. He is arrogant, self important and douche-y, like all Bradfords before him... and like all of them, he has a good heart. A heart that's just waiting for the right woman to devote itself to. And the more he falls for Zoe (despite his insistent otherwise), the better person he becomes. 

Of course, outside of the fantastic relationship and it's slow build, you have the usual hilarity that ensues whenever a Bradford (or heaven forbids, three) are on the scene. And as always, we are still baffled by the notion of how does a whole family gets banned for life from a restaurant!? 

Perfection is in it's core a romantic comedy that will make you love a jerk and be happy about it, dangit!. Hollywood, I won't mind if you adapt this one into a RomCom. Just don't get me an anorectic actress to play Zoe, please... 

No comments:

Post a Comment