Sunday, March 20, 2016

Sequel Phobia: Natural Born Angel by Scott Speer


Today I'm going to start a new trend on the blog called... Sequel Phobia. It's about--you guessed it--sequels I'm afraid to read. This has been on my mind a lot lately, as the process of revamping my old reviews brought up some old faves that I was super excited for... and never read. Even if I actually own the book in question.

But... why?

With this first book I'm going to talk about - there is a very defined reason.

Natural Born Angel is the sequel to Scott Speer's Immortal City. When I read Immortal City way back in 2012, I fell absolutely in love with it. I was uber excited for the sequel, waiting for its release eagerly. And then it did release and I bought it... And saw some early reviews. 

A few words popped out at me: blah blah blah Love Triangle blah blah blah unnecessary drama blah blah blah Jack acting like a jerk blah blah blah...

Hold on. Wait a minute. WHAT? What what what what??? Nope. No. None of that sound good. Gah, why does it sound like I would hate the sequel to a book I love? I don't want to do that! I don't want to ruin my good experience! AHHH. 

Okay. I'll put it on a back burner for a while. Wait until I'm in a really good mood that nothing can ruin. Yep, that's what I'll do. that's the plan.

THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENED.

I'm not even joking. That mess up there? That's what happened inside my brain. The entire thought process. The whole plan. I've still not managed to grab that elusive mood that would upscale my petrifying fear of ruining the characters and world for me. 

I need help.

Do YOU have any advice as to how I might convince myself to read this sequel? 

No comments:

Post a Comment