Friday, October 28, 2016

Fire and Brimstone by R.L. Mathewson | Book Review

First Published: 2016
Kindle
Adult, Contemporary Romance
Rating:
Re-Readability:
What happens when a Bradford with questionable OCD, a tempter and a reputation for making his employees cry falls for the woman that refuses to accept the fact that he’s fired her and was terrifyingly more of a Bradford than he was?
Well, we can’t share that here, because it would be seriously inappropriate, but we’re sure that you can see where this is leading…
To the altar or a stint in the slammer, either one is possible when it comes to the Neighbor from Hell Series.
Author’s Note: This book along with the rest of the series is intended to make you smile, let you relax and forget the drama and stress that plagues our lives even if its just for a little while. This is a drama free book. My goal is to put a smile on your face and I hope this book does that.
After the last couple of NFH books, I was a bit worried about starting this one. They were fun and everything... but they really weren't all that great. But I really needed a fun book, and no one writes fun like Mathewson, so in I went.

And guess what? Fire and Brimstone is a complete return to form for Mathewson and the delightful NFH world, making this my favorite story in the series (alongside Zoe and Trevor's book).

First of all, Lucifer and Rebecca had palatable chemistry together that blossomed into an adorable relationship (or rather, was already kind of adorable even when it was purely antagonistic) and of course - many laugh out loud moments. This couple, and the gang around them, just put a smile on my face.

Their story was fairly angst-free, but by no means boring or even remotely close to that. They were entertaining as heck, and they definitely made each other better... although we kind of figured that out from the get go haha

The only issue I had with this book and prevented me from capital L loving it was Rebecca's backstory, because it simply made no sense.

SPOILER I can totally see her being misdiagnosed and considered a hypochondriac in her childhood when Coeliac wasn't all that known, but do you really expect me to believe that in our modern times with all those doctors that she saw, none of them did the needed checks to find this disease until Aiden? Who happens to be Lucifer's brother?

Very convenient, Mathewson. Too convenient. Especially considering the book itself acknowledges how gluten free products have gone a long way and how a lot of restaurants and shops have them? Coeliac is not an obscure condition! 

And, excuse me, you dumb parents, did you really just say Coeliac doesn't exist???? Are you fucking kidding me? END SPOILER

Now that that rant is over, I'll end this review by saying I really recommend this series. It is SO much fun, and we all need fun in our lives :)

No comments:

Post a Comment